Somerset County Library seeks an enthusiastic, organized, hands-on Assistant Director with a passion for public library services and a strong desire to help the citizens of Somerset County meet the demands of life in the 21st century and achieve their dreams. This new position will play a vital role in establishing the Library as a friendly community gathering place and educational organization that provides timely, relevant and accurate information, resources, programs, and services to inform, educate, entertain, and enrich lives while meeting the community’s basic, information, civic and social, health, and financial literacy needs.
The Assistant Director manages day to day operations of Somerset County Library, oversees operation of the Conemaugh Township Library branch, and acts as Director in the Director’s absence. This is a professional position including both supervisory and hands on work in all aspects of library operations from collection management and cataloging to circulation services and interlibrary loan to planning and providing programming and services to the public of all ages in a team environment. Works under supervision of and in cooperation with the library Director. Involves daytime, evening, and Saturday hours as needed.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association-accredited program and ability to secure certification as a Professional Public Librarian in the State of Pennsylvania within 90 days of appointment required unless a different time-frame is agreed upon at hiring.
- Requires knowledge of and ability to use the techniques of offering programs to children, teens and adults required.
- Experience working in a library, leading classes or activities for children, and supervising
others strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of and ability to handle some original cataloging, materials preservation, and inter-library loan services strongly preferred.
- Must have valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and clean driving record in order to use Library-owned van as needed.
- PA Criminal Record Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Fingerprint Criminal Record Check required upon offer of employment.
A full job description is available here.
To apply, submit a resume, cover letter, and references to:
Cheryl Morgan, Director
Somerset County Library
6022 Glades Pike, Ste 120
Somerset, PA 15501
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.